21 Dec How to Brush Your Teeth Properly
Brushing your teeth may seem like a repetitive, easy-to-do, daily routine. However, not everyone knows how to brush their teeth properly. Having the right technique, brushing for the right duration and knowing when to brush your teeth, are all equally important to maintain good oral hygiene.
How to brush your teeth correctly
- Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Brush your tongue gently to remove excess bacteria and to have fresher breath.
- The masticatory back teeth are cleaned with a back and forth motion.
- Teeth facing the tongue and teeth facing the cheeks are cleaned with a movement from the gums, to the teeth
- The front teeth are cleaned up and down – upper teeth with a downward movement and lower teeth with an upward movement
- Every movement should be done at least 8 times.
How long should you brush your teeth?
Did you know that proper teeth brushing requires at least two minutes? Unfortunately, most adults do not spend this much time brushing their teeth. A practical tip to make sure you reach this minimum requirement, is by using a stopwatch. Set it for 120 seconds or alternatively, listen to a 2 minute song to accompany your dental routine.
When to brush your teeth
In addition to proper brushing techniques and brushing for the right duration, you should also make a habit of brushing your teeth at least twice a day. Do it in the morning after having your breakfast and at night before going to sleep. If you want to brush your teeth, always wait for at least 30-45 minutes after a meal. This is because food reduces the pH level in your mouth, which can make it acidic. As a result, brushing your teeth during this time may damage your tooth enamel.
Tips for good dental health
- Change your toothbrush every 3 months or when the bristles are worn out.
- Floss at least once a day to remove bacteria and food remains in between your teeth that can’t be reached by tooth brushes. This is to avoid the accumulation of plaque.
- Use a mouthwash without alcohol for a complementary dental routine.
- Visit the dentist regularly to have your dental health checked.
Rejuvie Dental offers a full range of different dental treatments and procedures in Bali with high quality service and equipment. For your next dental checkup, visit the professional dentists at our clinic in Bali.